A Remembrance Sunday service, wreath laying ceremony and flypast took place at Stow Maries Aerodrome – the most original World War One aerodrome still in existence. The aerodrome opened in 1916 with the aim of protecting London from attack by Zeppelin airships and Gotha bombers. Closed in 1919 the land was returned to farm use but most of the buildings remained untouched and are now being carefully restored. A memorial has been erected on the parade ground, by which the service took place. Three Stampe biplanes from the Tiger Club carried out a poppy drop before flying over the parade ground.
Later in the day the new owner of the Nieuport 17 replica now based at Stow Maries took it up for one of his first flights in the aircraft. The Essex Police helicopter also passed through, waggling his ‘wings’.