Remembrance Sunday service – Stow Maries Aerodrome -13 November 2016

A Remembrance Sunday service, wreath laying ceremony and flypast took place at Stow Maries Aerodrome – the most original World War One aerodrome still in existence. The aerodrome opened in 1916 with the aim of protecting London from attack by Zeppelin airships and Gotha bombers. Closed in 1919 the land was returned to farm use but most of the buildings remained untouched and are now being carefully restored. A memorial has been erected on the parade ground, by which the service took place. Three Stampe biplanes from the Tiger Club carried out a poppy drop before flying over the parade ground.

Later in the day the new owner of the Nieuport 17 replica now based at Stow Maries took it up for one of his first flights in the aircraft. The Essex Police helicopter also passed through, waggling his ‘wings’.

adsc_3855-pwbdsc_3866-pwbdsc_3872-pwccdsc_3879-pwddsc_3715-pwedsc_3722-pwfdsc_3890-pwgdsc_3902-pwhdsc_3896idsc_3728-pwjdsc_3732-pwkdsc_3840-pwldsc_3865-pwmdsc_3936-pwndsc_3964-pwodsc_3972-stowmaries-13-11-16-philwhalleypdsc_4005-stowm-13-11-16-philwhalleyqdsc_4030-pwrdsc_4048-pwt

Advertisements

Service for planting of Ceramic Poppies at Stow Maries WWI Aerodrome – 19 April 2015

Ten ceramic poppies from the ‘Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red’ art installation were ‘planted’ during a service of remembrance at Stow Maries Aerodrome, in memory of the airmen of 37 (Home Defence) Squadron who died whilst serving the squadron during World War One. The art installation of 888,246 poppies surrounded the Tower of London during 2014 commemorating one hundred years since the start of WWI, after which they were posted out to individuals and groups. The poppies were purchased using donations by the ‘Friends of Stow Maries Aerodrome’.

DSC_5198-Stow-19-4-15-PhilWhalley DSC_5250-Stow-19-4-15-PhilWhalley DSC_5259-Stow-19-4-15-PhilWhalley DSC_5283-Stow-19-4-15-PhilWhalley DSC_5286-Stow-19-4-15-PhilWhalley DSC_5287-Stow-19-4-15-PhilWhalley