Police used CS spray to break up a fight between rival Southend Utd and Cambridge Utd football fans outside The Railway pub in East Street, Southend, having been called at 19:20 Saturday evening. Three men were arrested following the clash outside the pub, which is said to have involved about 15 people. A man in his 40s from Suffolk was found on the ground with serious head injuries and was taken to the Royal London Hospital. Essex Police arrested two men on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and one for criminal damage.
The following images were taken after police had secured the scene and closed the road whilst forensic evidence was collected and investigations carried out.
Images are available for rights managed editorial use from Alamy:
Low in quantity, extremely high in quality, is the usual shape of the flying aspect at the Revival and 2014 was very special indeed. Midair Squadron debuted a three-ship of classic jets, but perhaps most will remember the pair of Lancasters in years to come – especially those that attended on the Saturday. A technical issue kept them on the ground until late in the day, finally displaying in front of a setting sun. The Midair team had been displaying as a pair – Canberra XH134 and Hunter XL577 – with the plan being to add their second Hunter – XL600 – sometime during 2014. With XL600 not being ready for the Revival, Midair leased T.7 XL573 from Classic Jets of St. Athan and went to the extent of spraying it to match their other aircraft especially for their appearances at Goodwood. The borrowed Hunter was returned shortly afterwards and work continues towards getting XL600 airworthy and into the team as soon as possible.
The OFMC pair carried out a planned sunset display, amongst other warbird slots over the weekend.
The Goodwood Revival took place at the historic airfield and racing circuit over the three days 12th to the 14th September 2014. The Revival is a unique and very special event, with so many aspects worthy of their own photo-reports. First, here, is the Freddie March Spirit of Aviation Exhibition presented by Eve.
Amongst the selection of thirty lovely machines a beautiful Cessna 195 Business Liner owned by Dirk Sadlowski was named the winner of the concours d’elegance competition. The 1949 aircraft, which was the first to be produced by Cessna in all-aluminium form, came out on top as a panel of expert judges, which included TV presenter and keen aviator Carol Vorderman, political correspondent John Sergeant, pioneering Formula 1 and road-car designer Gordon Murray, Mike Davis, managing director of Midair, aviator Tracey Curtis-Taylor, Eve managing director Nigel Quinn, British Airways’ director of flight operations Stephen Riley and Pilot Magazine’s flight test editor Dave Unwin.
Second place went to an example of the last biplane to be used by the RAF, a 1939 Gloster Gladiator owned by Stephen Grey, while third spot was taken by a 1945 de Havilland DH89a Rapide.
The most famous of the other aircraft in the display was Rob Hield’s 1960 Hiller UH-12E4, the helicopter flown by Pussy Galore in the James Bond film ‘Goldfinger’ and also used by Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in film ‘VIPs’.
Also present were a 1942 Douglas C-47 Dakota, an example of one of the 2000-strong group of aircraft that was used by the RAF, a Spitfire from Biggin Hill, an American Aeronca TA Champ and a 1960s Czech Morovan-Zlin Z326 which braved a 10-hour journey to make it to the Revival.
The area also offers a more ‘chilled’ zone for the public to picnic and generally enjoy the atmosphere away from the more packed and busy environment elsewhere at the event.
Seen here early in the morning running along the Thames Estuary coastline near Chalkwell station, Essex, is the ‘Cathedrals Express’ steam train during its journey from Southend to Bath and Bristol. The trip was initially hauled by this LNER B1 locomotive number 61306 ‘Mayflower’ to West London, at which point 34067 ‘Tangmere’ took over, taking the train onto Bath and Bristol. The B1s were designed as mixed traffic locomotives capable of hauling express passenger trains as well as freight traffic. As powerful, go anywhere engines, the B1s worked across most of the UK rail network from East Anglia to Scotland.
61306 was built in 1948 by the North British Locomotive Company, as Works No. 26207. Though built to an LNER design, it was delivered after nationalisation to British Railways(BR).
Initially 61306 was allocated to Hull Botanic Gardens Depot (shed code 53B, Kingston upon Hull) until June 1959, when it was transferred to nearby Hull Dairycoates Depot (53A). There it remained until June 1967, when it was transferred to Low Moor Depot (56F, Bradford) before being withdrawn in September 1967. 61306 was privately purchased for preservation at Steamtown in Carnforth. There it was painted into the LNER Apple Green Livery and given the number 1306 and the name ‘Mayflower’. 1306 would have been its allocated running number had LNER not been nationalised (most ex-LNER BR numbers being the LNER 1946 numbers prefixed with a six). The name ‘Mayflower’ came from a scrapped BR-built Thompson B1, numbered 61379.
In 1978 1306 moved to the Great Central Railway in Leicestershire where it remained until 1989, when it was taken out of service for a ten-year overhaul. For this it was initially moved back to Hull Dairycoates but the sale of that site resulted in a move to the Nene Valley Railway. Finally in 2006 it moved to Boden Rail Engineering Ltd at Washwood Heath to undergo a full overhaul.
In 2014 61306 was sold by the Boden family to David Buck and is currently based at the North Norfolk Railway.
‘Mayflower’ is one of two preserved Thompson B1s, the other being LNER-built No. (6)1264