Every year of the FoS is marked by the construction of a central feature, or sculpture, positioned in front of Goodwood House. For 2014 it was the turn of Mercedes-Benz to celebrate 120 years in motor sport with the unveiling of the largest feature to date, which for the first time arched right over the house and required that it was evacuated for safety whilst assembly took place using a number of heavy lift cranes. Designed by Gerry Judah with structural engineering by Capita and Littlehampton Welding, the sculpture measures 45 metres in length, rises 26 metres in the air and weighs 160 tonnes.
The two cars that appear to be passing each other over the house are a replica of a 1934 Mercedes-Benz W 25 Silver Arrow, and a Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 W04 – the same chassis raced by Lewis Hamilton in fifteen Grands Prix in 2013. Together, the W25 and the F1 W04 show the first – and currently last – of the eight-cylinder Silver Arrows Grand Prix racers, spanning eighty years of motor racing. The roof and balcony of Goodwood House also make perfect vantage points for the airshow commentary and control personnel.