No. 5 Squadron Royal Flying Corps was formed at Farnborough on 26 July 1913 and, following the outbreak of the First World War, deployed to France on 15 August 1914. Equipped with a variety of aircraft types it carried out reconnaissance for the British Expeditionary Force, flying its first missions on 21 August. The Squadron took a leading role in the development of aerial photography and wireless telephony during the early days of the War. Now titled V (Army Cooperation) the squadron was reformed on 1st April 2004 at RAF Waddington, marking the beginning of a new era in the world of military Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR), continuing in the role in which it served with such distinction in its early days. The new role for ‘5’ is to operate the Airborne Stand-Off Radar (ASTOR) System, which consists of five Sentinel R1s – modified Bombardier Global Express long-range business jets – and eight Ground Stations.
To celebrate its centenary the squadron have decorated the tail of ZJ692 with a special scheme. The Maple Leaf commemorates the Squadron’s close links with the Canadian Corps during WWI and also appears on the squadron badge. Sentinel ZJ692 is illustrated at its home base and in formation with the Red Arrows on 6 July during the Waddington International Airshow.